Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The More Blogs The Merrier

Yesterday I committed to writing at this blog everyday for the next 40 days so, naturally, I took some time last night to start another new blog:) I guess it was all of this thinking about what to write that go me thinking about how I spend my time online and about the communities I am a part of - even if only as a reader/lurker/blogstalker. I read blogs and yahoo groups dedicated to RU. But I also read blogs and yahoo groups dedicated to living gluten free (GF) as my youngest, Asha, has celiac disease.

When she was first diagnosed I was desperate to find other folks who were living GF with kids and now that I am a bit more experienced at it I thought I'd like to have a place to share what I've learned and how we manage being GF in the world of parties and playdates and potlucks and soccer snacks.

Without stating it as such - so as not to scare anyone away - I also want to add an RU voice to living life with a child with celiac disease. the only treatment for managing the disease is to completely eliminate gluten from your diet (actually pretty cool when you consider that there are no drugs to take or doctors to rely on). So many parents online talk about the struggles they have with their kids and how their child "sneaks" gluten foods and how this lifestyle is such a struggle for them and the entire family. I want to write about another way. I want to write about how I am my daughter's partner and ally. I want to write about how I help my daughter feel empowered in her own quest to feel good and be healthy. I want to explore the joy that you can find in living gluten free! So last night I started GlutenFreeInHarmony. I intend for it to be a place for me to talk about what works for us and what hasn't. I will share resources and links to articles and websites that I find useful. I will share recipes I have successfully converted and write about my experiences with a GF kid in a non GF home and how we find the balance and help to keep her safe. I will write about this part of my journey as a mom. I'm excited to possibly offer hope to parents of newly diagnosed kids with CD and to show them a kinder, gentler GF life with their families that focuses on the abundance of a GF lifestyle rather than on denial and lack.

No comments: