Monday, June 23, 2008

Post 1 -forming a blog writing habit

So it was only a couple of short years ago that I remarked to a friend, "Blogging seems so stupid! I mean who on earth would want to write their thoughts and put them out on the web for anyone in the world to read? And what kind of loser has nothing better to do with their time than read other people's thoughts on the web? Geesh!" (OK - I didn't really say it mean and nasty like that, but I really didn't get the whole blogging thing.)

As has happened more times than I can count since I really began this RU life in earnest (as opposed to just in theory - as I did for far too long ;) I am once again eating my words. I have become a full-on blogaholic. I begin my days reading the words of my favorite bloggers (the majority of whom have not a clue who I am or even that I exist) and I get anxious when they don't post for a day or two. Don't they know what an important part of my day they are? No? That may have something to do with the fact that they DON"T KNOW I EXIST! Is it possible that they are not writing purely for my benefit?

All of this blog reading has inspired me -countless times- to start my own blog. I have created blogs...countless times. OK -part of this has to do with the fact that I think up a good blog name that I just have to have. But I realized after reading all of these blogs I like for a while that there is a blogger community out there and I want to be a part of it. My problem has been committing to posting. So in an attempt to create a healthy and regular blogging habit I am setting a goal for myself to post once a day - no matter how short- for the next 40 days (that's how long my cello teacher told me that it takes to form a habit. I have since heard other estimates, but she must have told me forty times because - well - that's my habit :)

So blogging here I come. No excuses (believe me I have many I could choose from:) If I spend even a fraction of the time writing on my blog that I do reading at other's I will have no trouble at all.

P.S. The best part about eating your words is when you have digested them, extracted all of the nutrients you need from them and then pooped them out.

No comments: